Kathryn Bauer, M.D., is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon at Children’s Health℠ Andrews Institute for Orthopedics & Sports Medicine. She specializes in sports injuries, minimally invasive arthroscopy and fracture stabilization procedures.
Dr. Bauer has additional interests in angular limb deformity, benign bone lesions, and lengthening procedures for leg length discrepancies.
She received her medical degree from The University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston and completed her orthopedic surgery residency at University of Missouri School of Medicine. She also completed two fellowships – an orthopedic sports medicine fellowship at University of Missouri School of Medicine and a pediatric orthopedic fellowship at the Orthopedic Institute for Children in affiliation with University of California Los Angeles.
During her sports medicine fellowship, she was a team physician for multiple Mizzou sports teams and served as football team physician for Truman State University.
Caring for competitive young athletes during my training gave me the experience to treat ligament tears, cartilage injuries and injuries to the meniscus using new techniques such as meniscus transplants.
“Caring for competitive young athletes during my training gave me the experience to treat ligament tears, cartilage injuries and injuries to the meniscus using new techniques such as meniscus transplants,” says Dr. Bauer. “These novel procedures in younger patients can help delay or eliminate the need for joint replacement procedures as patients mature.”
Dr. Bauer served as second lieutenant in the Texas State Guard Medical Brigade to assist public health authorities during health-related crises. During medical school, she was awarded the Humanitarian Service Award for active duty service in the Texas State Guard during relief efforts for Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
She enjoys spin classes, spending time with her dogs and traveling with her husband.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (2008)
- University of Missouri School of Medicine GME (2013), Orthopaedic Surgery
- UCLA - Orthopaedic Institute for Children (2015), Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery
University of Missouri School of Medicine GME (2014), Sports Medicine
- Board Certification
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Acetabular Labral Hip Tear
- Ankle Impingement
- Ankle Instability and Sprains
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Injury
- Articular Cartilage Injury
- Benign Bone Tumors and Cysts
- Bone Joint and Muscle Infections in Children
- Calcaneal Apophysitis (Severs Disease)
- Elbow Instability
- Femoral Anteversion
- Growth Plate Injuries
- Hip Impingement
- Kneecap Instability and Dislocation
- Legg-Calve-Perthes Disease
- Limb Disorders
- Meniscus Tears
- Nursemaid's Elbow
- Osgood-Schlatter Disease
- Osteochondritis Dissecans
- Osteogenesis Imperfecta
- Overuse Injuries
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Post-Streptococcal Reactive Arthritis
- Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL) Injury
- Septic Arthritis
- Shoulder Instability and Dislocation
- Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis (SCFE)
- Sports Injuries
- Strains and Sprains
- Stress Fractures
- Tendinitis (tendinopathy)
- Tibial Torsion
- Transient Synovitis (Toxic Synovitis)
Departments and Programs
- Angular limb deformity
- Benign bone lesions
- Lengthening procedures for leg length discrepancies
- Strength of Thoracic Spine Under Simulated Direct Vertebral Rotation: A Biomechanical Study., Borkowski SL, Sangiorgio, SN, Bowen, RE, Scaduto AA, He B, Bauer KL, Ebramzadeh E. Spine Deformity 2016; 4(2):85-93.
- What’s New in Pediatric Flatfoot?, Bauer K, Mosca VS, Zionts LE. J Pediatr Orthop 2015 Aug 20. [Epub]
- Fresh Osteochondral Allograft Transplantation for the Knee: Current Concepts., Sherman SL, Garrity J, Bauer K, Cook J, Stannard J, Bugbee W. JAAOS 2014; 22(2): 121-33.
- Surgical Approach to the Posteromedial Corner: indications, technique, outcomes., Bauer KL, Stannard JP. Current Reviews in Musculoskeletal Medicine. 2013; 6(2): 124-131
- Current Concepts in Knee Dislocations: PCL, ACL, and Medial Sided Injuries., Stannard JP, Bauer KL. Journal of Knee Surgery 2012; 25(04): 287-294
- American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America
Awards and Honors
- Humanitarian Service Award (2005)
- Unit Citation (2005)
- Lewis Scholar Award (2004)