Maria Bano, MD $$
Assistant Instructor at UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Languages Spoken:
Maria Bano, M.D., is a pediatric cardiologist and Director of the Exercise Physiology Laboratory at Children's Health℠, specializing in heart failure, heart transplant and Ventricular Assist Devices (VAD). She is also an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Her clinical interests include heart failure and transplantation as well as mechanical circulatory support for end-stage heart failure. Her research interests include novel imaging techniques to assess right heart dysfunction and imaging techniques in transplant-related coronary artery disease.
After earning her medical degree from Aga Khan Medical University in Pakistan, Dr. Bano moved to the U.S., where she completed residency training at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston and a cardiology fellowship at Emory University in Atlanta.
Dr. Bano is a member of several professional societies including the American Heart Association, American Society for Artificial Internal Organs, International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation (ISHLT), Pediatric Heart Transplant Society (PHTS) and ACTION (Advanced Cardiac Therapies Improving Outcomes) Network.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- Aga Khan University Medical College (2006)
- Baylor College of Medicine (2011), Pediatrics
- Childrens Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston (2015), Pediatric Cardiology
- Board Certification
- American Board of Pediatrics/Pediatric Cardiology
Departments and Programs
- Exercise training in patients with Fontan physiology (complex single-ventricle heart disease)
- Use of remote monitoring and virtual care to improve care delivery and outcomes in patients with complex heart disease
- Database research to improve quality and outcomes in pediatric heart failure, transplantation and mechanical support
- Awareness and perceptions of electroconvulsive therapy among psychiatric patients: a cross-sectional survey from teaching hospitals in Karachi, Pakistan. Arshad M, Arham AZ, Arif M, Bano M, Bashir A, Bokutz M, Choudhary MM, Naqvi H, Khan MM BMC psychiatry 2007 7 27
- Comparison of basiliximab vs antithymocyte globulin for induction in pediatric heart transplant recipients: An analysis of the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation database. Butts RJ, Dipchand AI, Sutcliffe D, Bano M, Dimas V, Morrow R, Das B, Kirk R Pediatric transplantation 2018 Jun 22 4 e13190
- Results of stent implantation for native and recurrent coarctation of the aorta-follow-up of up to 13 years. Krasemann T, Bano M, Rosenthal E, Qureshi SA Catheterization and cardiovascular interventions : official journal of the Society for Cardiac Angiography & Interventions 2011 Sep 78 3 405-12
- Improvement in Tricuspid Annular Plane Systolic Excursion with Pulmonary Hypertension Therapy in Pediatric Patients. Bano M, Kanaan UB, Ehrlich AC, McCracken C, Morrow G, Oster ME, Sachdeva R Echocardiography (Mount Kisco, N.Y.) 2015 Aug 32 8 1228-32
- American Society of Artificial Internal Organs (2016)
- International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation (2016)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2008)
This provider may offer virtual appointments. Please review our Virtual Visit Specialty Clinics page for instructions on setting up a visit.