Andrews Institute Sports Physical Therapy Residency
Children’s Health℠ Andrews Institute Sport Residency is ideal for licensed physical therapists who are motivated to be leaders within the sports medicine field and desire to achieve a higher level of training and expertise. As a resident, you will receive a comprehensive clinical and didactic experience that will significantly advance your knowledge and skills in the delivery of sports physical therapy.
During the 12-month program, you will learn from clinical experts with advanced credentials and be a part of a dynamic team comprising the whole sports medicine continuum from athletic trainers, to orthopedic physicians, and performance coaches. You will also have the opportunity to participate in research with the potential to present at local or national conventions. Our current graduation pass rate is 100%.
- Program Cost: If you’re accepted, you’ll be an employee of Children’s Health Andrews Institute and receive a salary commensurate with your qualifications and experience. You’ll also receive standard benefits, including full medical and liability insurance coverage and accrued paid time off. Textbooks, journal subscriptions, and other costs will be your responsibility. We cannot guarantee continued employment beyond the length of the residency program.
- Program Length: 12 Months
- Program Start: July/August 2024
- Application Open: October 1, 2023
- Application Deadline: January 7, 2024
- Location: Children’s Health Andrews Institute
- Caseload: Consists of sports patients as defined in the APTA description of residency practice. Resident’s caseload is 75% of typical case load to account for mentoring and other obligations of residency program.
- Coverage: Minimum of 300 hours at local high schools and various athletic organizations
Sample Residency Schedule
Residency Eligibility Requirements
- Active Texas PT license
- Current emergency medical responder (EMR), emergency medical response for the athlete (ERA), ATC, or EMT certification
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong skills in scientific inquiry and writing
- Evidence of commitment to a career in sports physical therapy