Stephen Q. Hoang, M.D., is a pediatric anesthesiologist at Children's Health℠, a member of Anesthesiologists for Children and an Adjunct Associate Professor at UT Southwestern. He is double board-certified in pediatric and general anesthesiology.
Dr. Hoang earned his medical degree from the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. He completed his residency and fellowship training at Baylor College of Medicine and Texas Children's Hospital in Houston, Texas.
Dr. Hoang has previously served as the fellowship program director for pediatric anesthesiology at UT Southwestern and as the education director at Children's Health. Dr. Hoang was selected by the American Board of Anesthesiology (ABA) to serve on its Pediatric Anesthesiology Examination Development Committee as a question author for the ABA pediatric anesthesiology subspecialty certification exam. He has also served on the Regional Advisory Committee for Texas Medicaid and CHIP (appointed by the Executive Commissioner of Texas Health and Human Services Commission).
Dr. Hoang’s interests include education, patient advocacy, and patient safety and quality. His advocacy work includes legislative, regulatory, insurance, and medical staff issues to ensure equitable, safe and quality care for all children. Dr. Hoang previously served as the President of the Medical/Dental staff at Children’s Medical Center Dallas.
Dr. Hoang is a member of the American Society of Anesthesiologists, Society for Pediatric Anesthesia, International Anesthesia Research Society and Texas Society of Anesthesiologists.
In his free time, he enjoys exploring the Dallas and Fort Worth metropolitan area with his family, biking and swimming.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- University of Texas HSC at San Antonio (2000)
- University of Mississippi Medical Center (2000), Surgery, General
- Baylor College of Medicine (2004), Anesthesiology
- Baylor College of Medicine (2005), Pediatric Anesthesiology
- Board Certification
- American Board of Anesthesiology(Pediatric Anesthesiology),
American Board of Anesthesiology
- Hoang SQ, Vidaurri, LD. FDA Safety Announcement for Anesthesia and Sedation in Children. Pediatric Society of Greater Dallas Newsletter. 1st quarter 2019.
- Hoang SQ. It’s just anesthesia, right? Part 2. (Review of common anesthesia risks in children). Pediatric Society of Greater Dallas Newsletter. 1st quarter 2015.
- Hoang SQ. It’s just anesthesia, right? Part 1. (Review of common anesthesia risks in children). Pediatric Society of Greater Dallas Newsletter. 4th quarter 2014.
- Vidaurri LD, Hoang SQ. Pediatric ERAS (Enhanced Recovery After Surgery): Big Ideas for the Smallest Patients. ASA Monitor (national newsletter of American Society of Anesthesiologists). Mar 2020; 84(3):26-28.
- Steiner JW, Hoang SQ, Szmuk P. Pediatric anesthesia. Encyclopedia of Otolaryngology, Head, and Neck Surgery, Volume 2. SE Kountakis, Ed. Springer, 2013.
- Steiner JW, Pop RB, You J, Hoang SQ, Whitten CW, Barden C, Szmuk P. Anesthesiology residents’ medical school debt influence on moonlighting activities, work environment choice, and debt repayment programs: A nationwide survey. Anesthesia & Analgesia 2012; 115(1):171-175.
- Daniel L, Hoang SQ, Steiner J, Skinner M, Szmuk P. Accurate neurovision electrode placement for recurrent laryngeal nerve monitoring during neck surgery. Anesthesia & Analgesia 2009; 109:686-687.
- Steiner JW, Pop R, Whitten C, Hoang SQ, Szmuk P. Anesthesiology residents’ debt, moonlighting activities and career plans: A nationwide survey. American Society of
- Anesthesiologists Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA. October 2009.
- Walsh D, Steiner JW, Hoang SQ, Pop RB, Szmuk P. Use of intranasal dexmedetomidine as premedication in pediatric patients: A case series. American Society of Anesthesiologists Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL. October 2008.
- Steiner JW, Walsh D, Hoang SQ, Pop RB, Szmuk P. Use of intranasal dexmedetomidine as premedication in pediatric patients: A case series. Society for Pediatric Anesthesia Winter Meeting, San Diego, CA. April 2008.
- Adefeyisan SA, Ezri T, Hoang SQ, Szmuk P. Extraglottic airway devices in pediatric anesthesia. Anesthesiology News: Guide to Airway Management, 2008:83-88.
- Past President of the Medical/Dental Staff, Children’s Medical Center Dallas (CMCD)
- State Delegate for District 9, Texas Society of Anesthesiologists
- Member of Quality and Patient Safety Committee, Children’s Health
- Member and past Chair of Peer Review Committee, CMCD
- Member and past Chair of Medical Advisory Committee, CMCD
- Chair, Anesthesia Neurotoxicity Committee, Children’s Health
Awards and Honors
- Baumberger Endowment Scholar – Scholarship for education in the arts and sciences
Where I Provide Care:
American Board of Anesthesiology