Ruchika Sharma, M.D., is a Pediatric Hematologist-Oncologist at Children’s HealthSM and an Associate Professor of Hematology-Oncology at UT Southwestern. Her practice focuses on hemostasis-thrombosis (bleeding and clotting disorders in children), women’s hematology and immune platelet disorders.
Dr. Sharma earned her medical degree from Maulana Azad Medical College in New Delhi, India. She completed her pediatric residency at the University of Toledo, Toledo Children’s Hospital in Ohio. She also completed fellowships in Pediatric Hematology-Oncology-BMT and Pediatric Hemostasis-Thrombosis, both from Nationwide Children’s Hospital at Ohio State University.
My passion in the field allows me to understand the needs of my patients and families and continue to strive towards advancing the care of my patients.
Dr. Sharma’s research focuses include evaluation of unexplained bleeding in adolescent females through novel investigations of fibrinolysis (where the body does not dissolve blood clots properly) and platelets. Dr. Sharma serves as the Co-Chair for the platelet immunology scientific standardization committee at the International Society of Thrombosis and Haemostasis and has made many contributions towards developing guidelines for assessment of platelet disorders. She has many publications on evaluating bleeding disorders and examining the effects of blood clotting in children.
“I find benign hematology very interesting and intellectually stimulating,” she says. “Each patient is different with unique needs. My passion in the field allows me to understand the needs of my patients and families and continue to strive towards advancing the care of my patients.”
In her free time, Dr. Sharma enjoys spending quality time with her family. She also likes to travel, dance and listen to music.
Education and Training
- Medical School
- Maulana Azad Medical College-Delhi University (2008)
- University of Toledo (2012), Pediatrics
- Nationwide Children's Hospital (2016), Pediatric Hemostasis-Thrombosis
Nationwide Children's Hospital (2015), Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- Board Certification
- American Board of Pediatrics/Hematology-Oncology
Departments and Programs
- Assessment of fibrinolysis in women with heavy menstrual bleeding
- Platelet function testing in patients with thrombocytopenia
- Iron Deficiency Anemia in Hematology in the Adolescent Female, Amanda E. Jacobson-Kelly, Ruchika Sharma, and Jacquelyn M. Powers (2020), Springer
- Posttransfusion Purpura in Transfusion Reactions, 5th edition. Ruchika Sharma, MD and Anand Padmanabhan, MD, PhD (2021), Bethesda, MD, AABB Press
- Diagnosis and Management of FVII Deficiency in Pediatric Bleeding Disorders. Sharma R, Kerlin BA (2020), Springer
- Approach to Mucosal Bleeding in an Adolescent with FXI Deficiency in Pediatric Bleeding Disorders: A Clinical Case Book. Sharma R, Kerlin BA (2020), New York, NY, Springer
- Manifestations and Treatment of Congenital Fibrinogen Deficiency in Pediatric Bleeding Disorders: A Clinical Case Book. Sharma R, Kerlin BA (2020), New York, NY, Springer
- Recognition and Care of a Newborn with FXIII Deficiency in Pediatric Bleeding Disorders: A Clinical Case Book. Sharma R, Kerlin BA (2020), New York, NY, Springer
- American Society of Hematology
- Foundation for Women & Girls with Blood Disorders
- Hemostasis and Thrombosis Research Society
- International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis
- Pediatric ITP Consortium of North America
Awards and Honors
- Young Investigator Travel Award 2020, Thrombosis and Hemostasis Summit of North America
- Clinical Research Training Institute 2018, American Society of Hematology
- Outstanding Publication Award 2016, Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital
- Abstract Achievement Award 2015, American Society of Hematology
- Early Career Travel Award 2015, American Society of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology
- Young Investigator Award 2014, International Society on Thrombosis and Hemostasis
- Hematology Fellows Consortium 2013, Hemostasis Thrombosis Research Society
- Annual Scholarly Research Award 2012, University of Toledo